Thursday, March 27, 2008

Social Networking

So much of my time is spent thinking about school and my students, that it is refreshing to know that some parts are completely separate. After much thought on using sites like myspace and facebook in the classroom, I have decided that I don't think social networking should be used that way. I have friends from high school and college that invite me to be their friend. They want to talk to fun-loving Kelly who likes to have drinks on the weekends and shouldn't have to sensor their language or the content just because parents use my page also. I am satisfied by communicating with parents by e-mail, telephone, and in person. My students have started using Gaggle to create profiles online and will soon start to blog. With fourth grade students, I just think using myspace or facebook would not be appropriate. There are too many dangers out there that 9 and 10 year olds should not have to face. I believe that you can discuss the issues and warn children not to talk to strangers online but that doesn't always work. We don't leave them at home by themselves or let them wonder around the mall, therefore, they shouldn't be wondering around myspace by themselves.

No comments: