Sunday, April 13, 2008

Wiki

Last week I created a page on our class wiki along with a partner. We were at separate computers but were able to edit and add content onto the page. I thought the set up and editing tools were easy to use and am excited about trying it out in my classroom. When we were both working at the same time from different computers it made me think about my students who argue or play when I have them working simultaneously on a project at one computer. Having students work in a wiki would eliminate that problem. Often times I have students that will write a report with a partner or group and argue over who is going to type it up. I have to set time limits for each person to type then make them switch after 10 or 15 minutes. By using a wiki students could both type at the same time on different sections of their project. I love it! I created a wiki on pbwiki.com and found it easy and free to start an account. I created a page and included an "I" poem I wrote on Blackbeard for my upcoming pirate unit. I'm thinking that my students could go in and edit the poem finding synonyms for words, etc. Then I usually have each student research a pirate and write their own "I" poem from the pirate's point-of-view. My students could link their poems to the class wiki so everyone can read them. Just a thought for now. I'm going to continue to brainstorm this idea and try to think of other ways I use wikis in my classroom. My school's librarian uses a wiki during Battle of the Books to share ideas and have students answer each others questions they have a book. It's really like a book talk. If you think of any ideas please share. Click here to view my wiki.

Implementation
I haven't yet used my wiki in my classroom. With all of the stress on the EOGs and pop up assemblies, Social Studies has been put on the back burner. We just started reading about Blackbeard on Friday. It will be next week before we explore my "I" poem on Blackbeard.

No comments: